Saturday, February 19, 2005

A fast laptop, a slow month and a new WiFi card

Wow, its almost midterms. I wonder where all the time went....

The day I arrived in Florida, I bought a new Wifi card for my laptop
(NetGear WG511), because I burnt out my old Linksys WPC11 v3 card and I
wanted a G card anyway. I tried installing the card in Windows, but it
wound up bringing down my system when it was inserted. I tried using NDIS
for Linux and that did not work either. Long story short -- I spent quite a
while returning cards to Bestbuy, and found the D-Link DWL-G650. It works
perfectly in XP and in Linux. I didn't add an antenna to tis one. ;)

For quite some time, I was using GNOME with XFWM (FC3 laptop). It worked
nicely, but it was a memory hog, and kind of slow. I am using WindowMaker
now, and it is kinda growing on me. It is faster than XFCE (I don't know
about lighter) and looks very nice. It even has a little ey-candy :).
--------------------------------------------------
StarOffice 8 is out!
Download it here : http://www.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/beta/

I did! It looks a lot like MS Office; however, it is not as fast, and not
as stable. OK, so I take back that last one. :)
It is very nice though, and I can't wait until the final version. You can
also download the RC for OpenOffice. Just hope the spell checker is fixed.
:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home